It's officially fall and time to winterize your boat. Remember that it's important to prepare your boat properly for storage, even though we know you'll be sad to say goodbye to summer. The better care you take with storing it, though, the better condition it will be in come spring. Here are a few tips to help you during the process:
- Anti-freeze: Run anti-freeze through your boat and also stabilize fuel. It's a good idea to consult a professional about this step, because it's the most important part of making sure your boat makes it through the winter undamaged.
- Clean: Give the boat a good scrubbing before you place it in storage. This includes wiping out the lockers and rubbing down the wood with oil. When you come back to a fresh, shiny boat next year you'll be glad you did this.
- Cover: Cover the boat with a tarp for protection and block exhaust pipes to keep animals from nesting in your boat.
- Take it for one last spin: Take your boat on one last joyride, and appreciate how much fun it's given you and your friends and family over the course of the season. You'll have plenty of good memories to look back on during the harsh winter months. While you're riding, observe how your boat is working and assess whether or not it needs any repairs. Make a list of things you need to fix and parts you need to replace. Over the course of the fall and winter you can work on collecting these new pieces in anticipation of spring.
- Unpack: Unload all the towels and life jackets and sports equipment that have piled up over the course of the summer.
Lastly, remember that if you're in need of any marine supplies you can find them at ePal Inc, where we strive to give customers the best boating experience possible.